John Benjamin was born in England in 1823. In 1849, at the age of 26, he immigrated to America with the goal of seeking opportunities in the new world and improving the life of his family. During his immigration and eventual settlement in Hutchinson, Minnesota, John saved many personal letters that were written by and to him. These letters, the subject of this web site, bring to life his immigration and the life of others during this courageous adventure. The most recent letters posted on this sight are on this front page. To see all the earlier letters, keep pressing the “Older Posts” button on the bottom of this page. The earliest letter recorded here is June 20, 1849. The letters…………









Feb. 3, 1891 Arthur E Benjamin-1868 to Sisters

Minneapolis
Feb. 3, 1891
My Dear Sisters,
I have just received a letter from home enclosing one written by you, Olive, that great long one, the that kind we all like to get but not to write, at least I don’t for the reason perhaps that I could not find enough to say that would interest and entertain my correspondent.
Was very sorry to learn that you were so sick with La Grippe, Louisa.   I will send you a prescription which you can get filled there to help your cough and send several injections to abay the Hygienic Sans.  Will not charge anything for the prescriptions.  You know the usual price is 50 cents but would fake enough medicine also for you if there was any way of getting it to you.  The prescriptions I will send on separate blanks, one for a cough, another for an ordinary cold and still another to prevent a cold when you feel one coming on.   Of course you know that a good hot drink of lemonade or brandy (take your choice) will relieve if not cure most any cold and even the grippe if you go to bed at once after the stimulus or spiritus fermenti and cover up so that you won’t take cold after sweating, and to be careful not to get cold when getting up.   
The winter here has been milder than ever known before, yet I think that there has been more sickness than if had been cold, dry, and plenty of snow.   It has snowed more or less for two or three days now and at present we have enough for fairly good sleighing. 
I must say your treatment for breaking up a fever is very good.  If Louisa does not like to take Caster oil a 4 grain blue mass pill would be good and not so disagreeable.
I suppose I’ll receive the tax receipt for my taxes soon.  If you have not yet sent it, send it and I’ll send you the amt. of them.  It is getting dark so I’ll go to dinner and finish this after. 
Feb 11, 1891
Began this letter, as you see, over a week ago but have not finished it yet.  Was not feeling very well at the time so I waited until I should get the letter Louisa wrote. 
I went home last Saturday evening and while there read your last letter, Olive, which contained the good news that you were all nearly well.   Merton, Harry W., Elwin H., and Hankenson, also Henry J. and Mr. Pendergast all went home the same night.  I don’t know as I told you that I work   the “con” and get up for 50 cents each time – regular fare $1.77.   Well, most of us “U” boys do the same and Henry also and Mr. Pendergast too I think.  That night there was a new conductor on and we did not know what to do about it – did not suppose we could work him.  We all scattered pretty well .  Mr. P and Henry went in the caboose (guess that’s the way to spell it).  I stood on its rear platform,  Elwin and Hankenson on the front of the passenger platform and Merton and Harry on the rear passenger platform.    And in that way we all managed to get up for 50 cents each and came down for 50 cents.  I was surprised when I got home to find no snow on the ground.  While here in Mpls we had good sleighing.  We had quite a storm Sunday though but not nearly so much snowfall home as here in the city.   I expected to take a sleigh ride with my best girl when I got home but had to content myself with my own company. 
Received a picture from Harry B. and Marion, also of Uncle’s plantation, one of the house where Uncle is sitting on the stoop smoking, Aunty nearby and Walter Lyda and Joseph also.   The other was of the same group some distance from the house near their beds of drying grapes.   The one of Marion shows her to be a grown up young lady whom I would not recognize if I did not know whom it was. 
I have finished dissecting and taken the examination.  We took another examination Monday night; only three questions.  The doctor was a little too full when he came in as will show from his writing, which I will endeavor to ____ it was thus.  ‘Twas too bad for he was one of the best instructors in the faculty &  a good ___man,  but too much of the spiritus fermenti had about him.
Louise, you must not think of going into the bakery or chicken business.  You need not worry about making something or doing something for a living for you will always be cared for, and I have a wish that you would come home and live with us when you can be boss and our counselor and guardian.   You cannot and must not try the bakery business for it is too hard work and you could not stand it.  If you wish as we wish, come home, that is, if Olive would let you go.  Don’t worry about the future for all will come out well in time. 
Lovingly,
Arthur
PS – Robbie is going to come down some day to have a tooth spliced that he broke in a contest with a shot of brandy.  Ever so much obliged, Howard, for paying my taxes.  Will be pleased to let it go on freight for the store if you want it sent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment